Sing with the Bach Society
De Netherlands Bach Society is looking for ensemble singers:
• We are looking for substitute singers of the following voice types: altos/countertenors, tenors and basses.
• Applicants must be resident in the Netherlands.
The auditions will take place on Thursday 4 and Friday 5 March 2021 at the Akoesticum in Ede. The deadline for applications is 7 February 2021.
The Netherlands Bach Society is a professional Early Music ensemble best known for its exciting and inspired performances of 17th and 18th-century repertoire. We give around 60 concerts a year throughout the Netherlands, Europe and the world. Our All of Bach project, which features top-quality recordings of J.S. Bach’s works (via YouTube.com/Bach), has attracted millions of viewers throughout the world.
• Professional singing training (completion of studies is not a requirement)
• Good voice and technique
• Interest in and experience with ensemble repertoire
• Affinity with the music styles of the 17th and 18th century
• Quickness and flexibility (the audition may include sight-reading)
• Independent and expressive
1. One aria by J.S. Bach (see lists below, categorized by voice)
2. One aria of the applicant’s choosing, from the 17th or 18th century. The aria should be contrasting in character to the J.S. Bach aria above, preferably not in German and not by J.S. Bach.
3. Recitative (see list below)
3. J.S. Bach, BWV 106 (Actus Tragicus), 4th movement (chorale), from Allegro “durch Jesum Christum” (please prepare it in F major)
4. C. Monteverdi: Adoramus te Christe(please specify which voice)
Aria’s per voice
• Buß und Reu (Matthew Passion)
• Gott hat alles wohl gemacht (BWV 35)
• Gott will, o ihr Menschenkinder (BWV 173)
• Hebt euer Haupt empor (BWV 70)
• Mein alles in allem (BWV 22)
• Nur jedem das Seine (BWV 163)
• Wo gehest du hin (BWV 166)
• Wahrlich, wahrlich, ich sage euch (BWV 86)
• Die Welt mit allen Königreichen (BWV 59)
The auditions will be accompannied by Siebe Henstra on harpsichord (pitch is a=415 Hz). The audition committee is comprised of Shunske Sato (artistic director of the Netherlands Bach Society) and singers of the core group of the Bach Society.
Send an e-mail with your name, adress, telephone number, voice type, date of birth, CV and a recent recording of a Bach aria, by 7 February at the latest, to Hilde Van Ruymbeke via firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Hilde if you have any questions.