Auditions ensemble singers
The Netherlands Bach Society is looking for ensemble singers
• For our young talent programme, the Young Bach fellowship (YBF) we are looking for ensemble singers (one soprano, one (low) alto/countertenor, one tenor, one bass);
• Applicants must be born after September 1st 1989;
• Applicants must be resident in the Netherlands.
The auditions will take place on Sunday February 20th and Monday February 21st at the Akoesticum in Ede. The deadline for applications is January 23 th 2022.
The Netherlands Bach Society is a professional Early Music ensemble best known for its exciting and inspired performances of 17th and 18th-century repertoire. We give around 60 concerts a year throughout the Netherlands, Europe and the world. Our All of Bach project, which features top-quality recordings of J.S. Bach’s works (via YouTube.com/Bach), has attracted millions of viewers throughout the world.
• Professional singing training (completed or nearly completed studies)
• Good voice and technique
• Interest in and experience with ensemble singing and repertoire
• Affinity with the music styles of the 17th and 18th century
• Quickness and flexibility (the audition may include sight-reading)
• Independent and expressive
1. One aria by J.S. Bach (see lists below, categorized by voice)
2. One aria of the applicant’s choosing, from the 17th or 18th The aria should be contrasting in character to the J.S. Bach aria above, preferably not in German and not by J.S. Bach.
3. Recitative (see list below)
4. J.S. Bach, BWV 106 (Actus Tragicus), 4th movement (chorale), uit Allegro “durch Jesum Christum” (please prepare it in F major)
5. Monteverdi: Adoramus te Christe (please specify which voice)
The auditions will be accompanied by Siebe Henstra on harpsichord (pitch A = 415 Hz). The audition committee will be comprised of Shunske Sato (artistic director of the Netherlands Bach Society) and the singers of the Bach Society.
How to apply:
Send an e-mail with your name, address, telephone number, voice type, date of birth, CV and a recent recording of a Bach aria, by January 23rd 2022 at the latest, to Hilde Van Ruymbeke via firstname.lastname@example.org. Based on the recording and CV, a selection of applicants will be invited to audition. Please contact Hilde for any inquiries you may have.
Arias per voice:
Ich folge dir gleichfalls (St. John's Passion)
Mein gläubiges Herze (BWV 68)
Ich bin vergnügt in meinem Leiden (BWV 58)
Buß und Reu (St. Matthew Passion)
Gott hat alles wohl gemacht (BWV 35)
Gott will, o ihr Menschenkinder (BWV 173)
About the Young Bach Fellowship
The Young Bach Fellowship offers young professional musicians the chance to learn the craft by performing alongside the experienced musicians of the Bach Society, as well as to work closely with and to go behind the scenes of a world-class ensemble. The fellows will take part in 2 projects per season across two seasons (2022-23 and 2023-24), be assigned a mentor – a musician of the Bachvereniging – as well as receive help and advice in career-building. They will also take part in special productions and workshops to round out the transitioning towards a full-fledged professional musician.
What do we offer?
• Participation in 2 projects in season 2023-24:
Soprano, alto and bass singer: Weihnachts Oratoria (4 – 23 December 2022, All of Bach recording 2-4 January 2023), St. Matthew Passion (20 March - 8 April 2023)
Tenor singer: Seizoensopeningproject (22 sept - 9 oct 2022), st. Matthew Passion (20 March - 8 April 2023)
Violin, viola: Weihnachts Oratoria (4 – 23 December 2022, All of Bach recording 2-4 January 2023), St. Matthew Passion (20 March - 8 April 2023)
Cello: Weihnachts Oratoria (4 – 23 December 2022, All of Bach recording 2-4 January 2023), St.Matthew Passion (20 March - 8 April 2023)
Double Bass: Seizoensopeningproject (22 sept - 9 oct 2022), Matinee, music by Graupner (18-22 april 2023)
Bassoon: Seizoensopeningproject (22 sept - 9 oct 2022), St. Matthew Passion (20 March - 8 April 2023)
• Participation in 2 projects in season 2023-24: to be decided
Payment is based on the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch ensembles, to which the Netherlands Bach Society is a member.
- Kick off workshop on September 14th 2022 with staff members of the NBS including a photo session by a professional photographer
- Other workshops: to be decided
- 1 complimentary ticket per production to concerts by the Bach Society (subject to availability)
What do we expect from our fellows?
• Participation in the above mentioned projects is mandatory.
• Fellow must be resident in the Netherlands for the duration of the two seasons of the Programme.